Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Closet Confession #3: Fondness For Things on My Head

Yes, I have a fondness for things on my head but not just any old thing, I have a great love for HATs! 

"And all your future lies beneath your hat."~ John Oldham

Far far away and many many moons ago, I would sit on the floor and set my eyes on that gigantic wooden box in our living room and watch old black and white movies.  The fashion of the women in the old movies always amazed me.  They were so elegant and poised.  And the one thing I noticed a lot were their hats.  There's just something about hats that put a different spin on a person's wardrobe, their attitude, and their outlook.  To put it simply, hats are fun!

I wish many more people would see the life in hats and wear them proudly.  It puts a smile on my face to be out in public and spot a person lovingly wearing their hat.  It does however, bumms me when I spot people using hats as a "bad-hair-day-don't-want-to-show-off-my coif-while-I'm-runnin-errands" kind of accessory.  I don't think hats were meant to be used for that purpose although whomever came up with the idea may have seemed like a brilliant idea at that time- a lazy idea- but I guess somewhat brilliant nonetheless. 

I wore my black and white plaid fedora (which by the way was on-sale & super cheap that my husband snagged for me at Tilly's- $4.99) to a football game!  Football isn't really my thing, but I thought I'd make it fun by sporting my fedora!  I played my own head-games while there (hahaha) and didn't mind the brisk wind that made my fingers numb.  I could've sported my hubby's ivory and black houndstooth LA Dodgers baseball cap like the one in the picture (but this one is a Red Sox one), which I bought for him and am now homesteading it!  It is a tad bit too big but it's all good. 


Ohhhh and remember when J.Lo wore her floppy hat for the first time a few years ago? 
When I went to the garment district in L.A., I grabbed me one and I still have it to this day.  From what I hear, it's making a comeback.  But nevermind that, it's fun and floppy and puts a smile on my face.  I think I last wore it to the Golden Nugget pool over the summer.  My favorite head accessory- is my top hat! It just takes me to a circus-y & Fosse type of world.


There are a couple more hats that I'd love to add to my collection.  I am lusting after the sexy and mysterious cocktail feather hat.  It  is so 1930's-1940's inspired, especially with the veil netting attached to it.  But since it's getting cold out now, my wishlist bears the furry Russian pom pom hat (reminds me of a strong Russian-man march), and the cute Panda Pilot hat (oui-oui)! (from Karmaloop.com)



If you don't have a love for hats, maybe you should rethink your decision:

"I have a hat. It is graceful and feminine and give me a certain dignity, as if I were attending a state funeral or something. Someday I may get up enough courage to wear it, instead of carrying it." ~ Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment